I don't know how to start this. I had my two-week-aversary here in Pearl Lagoon yesterday.
Its been a crazy, hot mess of a two weeks.
I came here knowing I would have a lot to do, but was maybe not truly aware of how behind we were.
Basically the project should have started in June, but instead its just about to start this week, half-way through July. Therefore, it's been a crazy catch-up of marking nests, training, and placing data-loggers.
Now, for those of you who don't know this is not my first sea-turtle project. I worked with the UCF Marine Turtle Group for two seasons (and always go back for visits) and then last year worked with the Sea Turtle Conservancy. And each project has its up and downs and complications.
This project is unique to the last two in the fact that we have to travel to cays off the coast to work with the sea turtles. Therefore, there has to be a camp, food, etc etc. prepared beforehand.
Grape Cay
There is no hard day and night of survey and patrol and going home to electricity and interwebz here....lol
It's hard. Truly, its the toughest project I've been on, and not just physically, but mentally.
The culture here is completely different (more similar to STC in Costa Rica). Many fishermen, and lobster divers etc that use the cays will say that "no we are not taking the eggs" when in fact they are.
Also, there is a green turtle fishery here that is completely legal, they do have a "veda" a time where there is a ban on fishing, but it is still allowed. And it is painful to see turtle fishermen and talk to them and realize what they do. That their livelihoods are to kill the very species you have worked to conserve. And have to smile at them and be friendly. I understand that they have to make a living, i know the economy is tough here. But to kill a species that takes so long to reach reproductive age, at the prime of its life, is painful to watch...
| Male Green Turtle being dragged to shade. |
| Male Green Turtle. |
But enough environment talk, for now...:D
I've been making friends with some locals and with a bunch of Canadians here on a project with a local school, so I've been slowly adjusting. I miss my family and friends tons though. And tonight I'm buying my ticket to go home in December for two weeks!!! So see you soon---ishhh LOL
Some pictures of my adventures!
![]() |
| Lime Cay |
| Fourth of July spent with fellow Americans and BBQ!!! |
| A nest I relocated :D |
| Female Hawksbill hel by local fishermen. They hold them for us so we can tag and work them up. |
| My first Ei hatchling was a bit deformed but still loved. Good luck Freddy! |
| <3 Turts |
![]() |
| My walk through an inundated section on the way to Awas. |
| Bathing in the creek by the roadside |
| The town of Raitipura behind me. |
| Watching the sunset and children play in Pearl Lagoon in Awas. |
Melissa


No comments:
Post a Comment