Saturday, July 20, 2013

Wait...where's the bathroom?



Have i ever told you how being completely dry is amazing? I arrived earlier today from 5 days in the field. Five days in which i was either jumping in and out of the boat or getting poured on while trying to mark nests. I love fieldwork i really do. But sometimes I'd rather be clean and dry hahaha!

My title says it all. There is no latrine (as of yet, its been promised) on our island yet. The only bathroom that is available happens to basically be a hole that opens into the ocean...OH THE WASTE MANAGEMENT issues i have with that one. I usually wait until we get to Water Cay where there is a TOILET!!!  But i digress...thats been enough bathroom talk. ;)

Base camp has finally been built, i took some pictures of it without the zinc roof and forgot to take more  when it was finished but I will when i go out next week to train the next team!



Getting our gear inside and finishing up base camp!

Our panga and the gorgeous sunset!



Sleeping in my hammock can either be rather cozy or too damn hot! Its quite the coccon, I'll post a picture of it set up next time as well.

Our first day out, we were playing catch up because we hadn't been out in about a week. So we worked up about 15 nests on the cays we were able to reach. The weather was not conducive for getting out to Columbilla, a cay that is not only further away but has a really tricky entrance. 
We did go out to a cay that we rarely visit to see if anything had nested. It is a very rocky cay, with a bit of a tricky entrance as well, but gorgeous. Those hawksbill do love their crazy rocky beaches! The sad part was the collection of GARBAGE on this island. Nobody lives on this island, yet it is a landfill for plastic bottles on its backside, saddening. 
Cow Cram (sp?) A view of part of the entrance, very rocky.

THE WORST PART, this collection of nasty plastic!!




 After working all morning (5:30 am we set out!) until lunchtime, with only some cookies to sustain us. Some yummy Bon bread and chocoloco warmed us right up!!! Love this pairing!


YUUMMM. Que rico!!
 I know you are supposedly (miami accent inserted) not to swim for thirty minutes after you eat pero like what had happened was...i was already soaked from the rain so I decided to jump in!


Yes. This happened.

Lots of fun logs to pose on (or trip over)
Here are some pictures from some of the fieldwork done in the last couple of days. Havent gotten pictures marking nests because I've been training the team, but there were some visitors recently, and one has a nice DSLR so im waiting for some sweet shots soon!


FINALLY a good hawksbill crawl!

Beaut!

Finally free!

Farewell Mama Hawksbill!

Thanks for reading everyone, I head out again Tuesday!

Melissa









No comments:

Post a Comment